Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cricket- Is this the Identity of India??


There was a time when I used to watch cricket as if ever thing of mine was at stake. I can still remember the loss which we suffered in 1996 world cup against Sri Lanka to an extent that I remorse for it, forgetting that I had my board exams the next day or be it the famous 2004 defeat by Aussies for which I painted my face and cap with tricolor and brought whistles specially for the Finale...

This kind of feeling national/emotional whatever you say continued for years to come and we kept on feeling bad for those humiliating defeats and then long analysis of the loss like India should have done this or that, they should have dropped him or included him, should not have given bowling to him at this critical junction. Everyone had his own explanation on why we lost (a feel like the nation has lost some kind of war). everyone was so seriously and sincerely involved in it, that it looked Cricket is the only identity and future of India and Indians at large and the pride was now lost.

Things have now changed, I do not try to get emotionally or nationally involved, though I still watch these with same enthusiasm as I used to in the past (as a proof I watched all ICC T20 matches of India which we all lost till end), but then also managed to have a sound sleep.
Perhaps I have grown up in this sense now; I no longer take it as a matter of national emergency or the only identity/pride of India. I take it as a SPORT now, yes as a SPORT where you win some and lose some. Why we lost and what should have been done let's leave it to Captain/Players/BCCI, they have been playing and running this for years, it's their job, they are not answerable to us as they are not elected or selected by public vote. But this still affects our life, I do not know how? each and every word of them is blown in the media. I wonder if this is how it happens in other cases where the captain has to answer on media/press. I wonder if same was done when we had Mumbai episode where our PM has a press conference and then the Media asking all short of questions and PM replying it. I didn't see it happening on TV.

I know this might disappoint some of Crickets lovers, but let them know that, I am also a big fan of Cricket, but let's watch it as a SPORT and forget about who to be included, who had injuries, who should play, who shouldn't. Let's enjoy it as an entertainment when we WIN and forget it as a bad movie as we lose it, but do not forget to have popcorn while watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment